89 300e Check Engine Light

I had the 300 running and I was adjust some air hoses top make sure there wasnt a leak or crack and I think with me moving stuff around at idle I made the light coem on. A fried said on those cars it usually takes an
act of God for the light ot come on? Is this true? And why didt the ligh go off yet?- Charlie