'89 300e shift selector in '2'

For a bit of added fun, to my wife's chagrin, I drive my 300e by shifting quasi manually up from the '2' position. I've come to notice that the '2' position is '1st' gear BUT I've also noticed recently that it does not shift
out of 1st, ever. Is this the correct operation of the tranny? In '3' and 'D' the operation is as it should be, shifting from 2nd through 3 and 4 gears in total. I would have thought that in '2' the car would have upshifte to 2nd gear. Any comments?
cheers, guenter
1st is selected by shifting into L at a DEAD STOP. The box will remain in 1st until its shifted up to S and then IMMEDIATELY back to L to hold the box in 2nd. When that gets boring shift to S and then D.

Ok I get it, I think. Specifically, the tranny stays in 1st when '2' (ie L) is selected. what could possibly be the rational for not at least shifting up to 2nd..... after all, '3' (or S to you) shifts from 2nd to 3rd.
cheers, guenter
The rational for holding 1st gear is simple - to provide engine braking on steep descents.

Of course, didn't think of that .....
thanks guenter
If i remeber correctly all later 4 speed auto boxes (ei. 2-3-d-n-r-p) all start in 2nd gear and first gear is only acheived by activating the kick down switch by pressing the accelerator pedal fully to floor so the switch under pedal clicks. Hence there is no fault with your box but try suddenly depressing pedal fully to the floor on take off in 2nd gear and you should get first gear then 2 nd gear.

starting gear in the 3 and d positions, I carefully checked rpm vs speedometer speed and can guarantee to you that in the '2' position the car 'is' in 1st and no kick down is needed. But as pointed out elsewhere it also stays in] 1st in the '2' position for purposes of engine braking when hauling heavy loads for example.
cheers, guenter