89 300E Update to experts

Took my 300E into the shop today and the mechanic said I need new idle pullys, but I got no price from him? How much are the parts, and are they hard to install?? And the tensioner shock is bad he said too...

Heres the big one, my compression test was the following... cyl 1- 170 2. 195 3. 200 4. 130 5. 200 6. 205 lbs the 4th was bad he said. He said I can drive the car, but it will still run a little rough. The car has 119K on it and had Mobile 1 in it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Chuckyg

From your compression test... I find it hard to believe that much disparity... I would say it is more of your valve problem... I think there is coking on the valve that it cannot close properly... #1 and #4.

I suggest you run Lubro Moly Venti Sauber to clean your valves. I don't thinik it is a bad engine block... Otherwise, the other cylinders would be at the same PSI. It is impossible that #4 cylinder got oil starvation. So therefore it is the valve.

Belt tensioner is $105... Pulley is $22... Belt is $15. It is a common replacement if you haven't change it yet. You can do this work yourself... it is not that hard. Make a pic of the way your belt runs before taking it out.

My favorite source is:

Tiger

thank you for the quick reply. The 4th plug had a lot of oil on it. Is it ok if I keep driving the car? Im 21 years old, finishing college and love the car very much.

Reply to
Chuckyg

Lots of oil on spark plug means you got a valve seal problem. The only problem is not alot of people are willing to do the valve seal job... majority of them wants you to do the valve job which will cost you dearly... about $1200 I think.

Are you the original owner or your parent? How long has the car been running synthetic? If recently, then I suggest you go back to regular oil. However, if oil still good... then use regular oil to top up.

If you can't afford to fix anything now, try some valve conditioner sold at autoparts stores that supposedly swell the seal to stop oil burning... if it doesn't work, then you are out of luck. Do not overfill oil level.

Reply to
Tiger

THank you again, the car was bought with 50K on it in 1994 for my father. THe issue about the oil is the motor isn't leaking or burning any oil at all. Maybe I should switch back to regular oil. Regards..-Chuck

Reply to
Chuckyg