89 560SL starts then stalls

We started up our 560SL after sitting for the winter. It ran fine, up to temp and then, when slowly going up a hill stalled. Since then it will start
right away but stalls while coughing after 5 to 10 seconds.
The car had a half tankfull of gas and we've tried Gumount and dry gas. Any ides. Thanks.
On 04.06.2007 15:32, Keyser Soze wrote:

This sounds remotely similar to something a car of ours had once. In that case it was dirt inside the gas tank. Sometimes the inner walls of the tank corrode if the tank is not kept full over longer periods of time and the rust then clogs fuel flow.
HTH
    robert
I had that happens to me too... It is the fuel pump relay. Check the date stamped on the side of it... if it is the same year as your car... you are way overdue.
It will say like 05 89... which is fifth week of 1989.
Fuel starvation; replace the fuel filter.
permission.

As a follow-up. I got under the old girl and found the fuel filter. For those uninformed, it's large and is part of the pump assembly just forward of the gas tank.. This model has two pump motors and the filter sits just above them.
I took a hammer to the filter, trying to dislodge any foreign matter that may have gummed the works. It WORKED!
The plan now is to run the car up on ramps and replace the filter.
PS the car radiator let loose a blast of steam. It's cracked where the upper radiator attaches. OH well!