91 300e 3.L Fault codes

How can you read these fault codes? What type of meter is needed? My engine is running very rough at low speed and I have to fether the throttle to get it to accelerate after gaining rpm it smooths out and will cruise then stopping it will stall. TIA Victor

Reply to
Victor

Look and listen for a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak dilutes the air / fuel ratio so the engine struggles to idle.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Victor

AJDalton7 posted a homemade code reader tool that should work on your model. I just built one to read the codes from my 1991 300se. The Radio Shack part number for the LED/resistor combo is 276-0011. ftp://members.aol.com/ajdalton7/e320led.jpg Thanks AJ!

Here is a place to find your specific codes and diagnostic port pin-out (although the manual is for a commercial scanner):

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

forgot one thing - if you have the 8-pin connector, it may not have a +12v socket - so instead of a banana plug, solder a large spring-clip to the + side of the led. You can clip that right onto your + battery terminal.

Reply to
Scott D

Victor