91 300e 3.L Fault codes

How can you read these fault codes? What type of meter is needed? My engine is running very rough at low speed and I have to fether the throttle to get
it to accelerate after gaining rpm it smooths out and will cruise then stopping it will stall. TIA Victor
Look and listen for a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak dilutes the air / fuel ratio so the engine struggles to idle.
I used forcips and pinched the hoses one at a time from the manifold while ideling ,and noticed no differance. What is available for reading fault codes? I think something more serious is wrong.

AJDalton7 posted a homemade code reader tool that should work on your model. I just built one to read the codes from my 1991 300se. The Radio Shack part number for the LED/resistor combo is 276-0011.
ftp://members.aol.com/ajdalton7/e320led.jpg
Thanks AJ!
Here is a place to find your specific codes and diagnostic port pin-out (although the manual is for a commercial scanner): http://www.autolib.diakom.ru:8000/CARS2/pribor/cs1000/manual/cs1000_mb.pdf
Scott D

forgot one thing - if you have the 8-pin connector, it may not have a +12v socket - so instead of a banana plug, solder a large spring-clip to the + side of the led. You can clip that right onto your + battery terminal.

Thanks for the plans and info I built the tester but received no codes. So im at a loss again. Thanks again for the info.