'92 190E 2 litre, with possible abs problem

Just bought a '92 190E 2 litre, when I go to start the car and the ignition lights come on the ABS light does not light up? Any Ideas? Dirty sensor? don't know where to start.
Would really appreciate some help, the brakes work fine but I don't know if the abs is Cutting in.