92 300E Blower Motor Troubleshooting

The blower motor on my 92 300E seems to run properly when the outside temperature is below ABOUT 75F. If I shut off and start the car when the outside temperature is higher the blower motor will start to come
on at VERY LOW speed for a few seconds and then shut off completely. Once the outside temperature has dropped it will start working properly again. Both cold and hot work fine when the fan is running.
I have had trouble using the manuals to trouble shoot this one. Any suggestions on what this is? I am thinking it might be the voltage / current speed controller on the motor?
Nathan Smith