92 300SL Clock

I am about to have my A/C evaporator replaced, so I thought since the dash has to come out, I might take advantage and have the clock repaired. I've been told you have to replace the entire instrument cluster to repair the
clock. It's really not worth the $900 the dealership quoted, so I'm not too interested in expensive repairs. The evaporator is expensive enough, but air conditioning is way higher on my list of needs than the time of day. Does anyone know about this? The clock works sometimes, but it tends to stop until you reset it again, then it will work for a few minutes, hours or even a day, but it always stops. As usual, any advice is appreciated.
Steve
Not sure about your model. I once work on a flaky clock on W126 (87 300SDL). The clock may go a while then stop for no reason. Yeah, it may go a few seconds, minutes, or whatever. However, it works perfectly when I took it out of cluster and connected to battery directly. Later I found out it was the mechanical adjuster. It pushes in to make adjustment. Releasing the knob may seem OK but actually the inside gear may be stuck due to lack of lubrication. I guess it depends on how the car vibrates while driving, the adjuster gear may block the clock at its own wish. I apply some silicon and it works since then (more than a year ago).
Steve wrote:

dash
I've
the
too
but
hours or

I've had the same problem with my 1990 420SEL clock. I finally discovered that after you set it, pull out on the knob slightly. Sometimes it will click, sometimes it won't, but it usually fixes the problem until the next daylight savings change.
John