92 400e fuel capacity?

Bought a 1992 400E a month ago. Love it. No manual yet. What is the fuel tank capacity? It seems small.
John Ross

Yeah, or maybe the car is just 'thirsty' !?

jfo wrote:

Heh! Even the feds declared it as a gas-guzzler:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/8922.shtml
Not that my 500 SEL does any better...
-- mike
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:13:54 GMT, Mike Jackson

not listed as a gas guzzler. Other than MPG, what is the criteria for "gas guzzler"?
sdp1s wrote:

I suppose it's the size class to fuel consumption ratio. On that site, they had listed it as a "compact" car. Only in the US would a 400E be listed as a "compact" car. Sort of reminds me of the man who tells his wife "Honey, did you shrink my jeans AGAIN?" :-|
-- mike
Had my 92 400E since new. I believe fuel capacity is about 18 gallons. It takes about 15 gallons if I fill it up just when the reserve light comes on. Rob

I checked at lunch time--18.5 gallons including 2.4 gallon reserve. Rob

500E= 23.8gal (same chassis and body as the 400E) 400SE= 26.5 gal
sdp1s wrote:

My 1985 500 SEL (126 body) has an 80 litre tank with a 10 litre reserve, IIRC. Once, I drove for about 50 km after the low fuel light appeared - since there weren't any petrol stations around. The needle was as far to the left as it could go. When I refueled, it only took 77 litres. I probably could have driven at least another 80 kilometers or so before the car died. But it's really, really bad if you let an old car with fuel-injection run out of fuel. All of the junk in the bottom of the fuel tank can get sucked into the injectors, and replacing 8 fuel injectors is not cheap.
-- mike