'93 190e radio removal

well, many thanks for the previous help re speakers. Now it turns out that the volume control of the radio is very scratchy. How does one remove the radio? Possibly it might just be good enough to remove the trim piece which I'm guessing is around the radio. the radio has a round volume control knob in case there is some variation with more premium audio systems

thanks for any help

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

OK, got it. Turns out there are two 'sets' of tabs underneath the ashtray opening. One needs to push on the very fron ones, not the ones a few inches back..

cheers, guenter

ps anyone ever tried to get some cleaner into the volume control to stop the intermittent contact and scratchiness??

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Yes by all means.....squirting contact cleaner into the reostat (volume control) and working the control is the standard repair maintenance practice. Just make sure it had a chance to dry out completelety before turning the power on.. Rubbing alcohol works or you can buy a contact cleaner specifically marketed for electronic applications

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

OK, just in case anyone else has a scratchy volume control on their radio. I did not remove the radio to open it up with all the attendant hassle that removing power to it will bring.... instead I simply pulled the radio out of it's slot (all wired attached) and placed it vertiaclly and the squirted electronic cleaer down the shat repeatedly while rotaing and wiggling inbetwee, Worked very well indeed; ie the cleaener did in this way get at the corroded and/or dirty electrical contact parts and cleaned them.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz