93 400E shift selector question.

The box that holds the selector settings ie Park, Drive, neutral are held down by what? how do I get that box up because I changed out my ash try and was cleaning up under the wood and lo and behold I see the
trim around the shift knob area is upside down so I pull it out and put the 2 skinny tabs and two wide tabs in thier spot and crud the thick area of the trim is too long to be turned around and sit flat on the wood. It must have been installed incorrectly for a lonf time because those tabs were bent way out of shape to make the piece look right. Thanks in advance.