94 SL600 shock question

Hi, my 94 sl600 seems to have gotten a bit of a bumpy ride lately. Now the shock switch on the panel should make for a "performance ride" when pushed
up. The red light in the center comes on when it is pushed up so I assume I am getting a hard, performance, ride. When I push the switch down it is supposed to be a "soft ride." But the red light does not come on when pushed down and the ride feels the same. I mentioned this to a Mercedes salesman and he said I do not have a system like that, just a pair of shocks. What? My question: does it sound like a system problem or a simple switch replace? I hate going to a mechanic without foreknowledge. Thanks
Absolutely correct... you need someone who knows what they are doing. Even without looking at your car, I know it has hydropneumatic suspension. I also priced them out... whoo... expensive... about $400 each for front and $300 for the rears.
I don't know if they have service manuals our for the R129 yet... It has been ages since I looked for more service manuals.

million, give or take. Maybe I will try my local German mechanic.