94 W202 shocks

How often do shocks need to be replaced and how do you know when they are bad ? I'm asking because the rear left makes a skeaky noise when I bounce it by
pushing down on the trunk. Also when I take sharp turns (at low speed 10-20) I feel like the back of the car is going to take off. Any help appreciated. Thanks.