95' C280 Wiper Motor

My wiper on my 95' C280 make a "thud" noise and stopped in the middle of the windshield on the return stroke. I assumed I blew a fuse but it is OK. Then I noticed that when I hold on to the wiper (which moves with relative freedom now) and turn the wiper control on and off it feels as if the motor is cycling but it has become disconnected from the wiper arm itself. I assume there is a nut with a spline shaft as on others but I don't know for sure. I think I hear the motor but it has always worked quietly on this car since the dealer replaced it right after I bought it.

I do not have the body manuals for the car. Can anyone tell me briefly how to remove the wiper motor cover / motor for inspection?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Nathan Smith Lewistown, PA

Reply to
Nathan Smith

give me the VIN no of your car

Reply to
CSC

You need to grease the linkage... Trigger the wiper so it will move and then turn off the ignition when halfway... Once the wiper is in the middle, pop the cover off the base... clean it up and lube it well.

Reply to
Tiger

I was able to figure out I had to remove all of the climate control air intake covers to get down to the 3 fasteners that hold the wiper assembly to the chassis. Since the wiper moved freely I didn't have any issues getting the control arm in the correct position to remove it. It did take me a couple attempts to figure out the orientation of everything so it could be removed. The nut that holds the rotating control arm to the motor shaft had come off. Luckily I was able to fish the nut out of the water drain with a magnet. I aligned everything, put the nut back on with a blue thread lock and tightened. I am assuming the dealer didn't tighten the nut enough or didn't use thread lock.

Nathan Smith

Reply to
Nathan Smith