95 S320 RPM Surge on Start

This is something that just started recently.
My 95 S320 now accelerates when first starting in the morning or after it's been sitting over 6 hours or so. When I start it the RPM surges
to 1500-2000 (for just a second or two) and I hate that since I know that cold starts account for a majority of engine wear.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Bob