95 SL320 AC problem

I have a 1995 SL320 in Connecticut with 50K miles. It runs terrifically well and I am satisfied. However in August and September the following problem occurred. When driving more than an hour on the highway in warm weather on the highway, the AC would start smoking. Not Camels. When I stopped a significant amount of white smoke would come out from underneath the car front and rear for 2-3 minutes.

I brought it to Mercedes and they could not reproduce the symptoms - idling it for an hour at their garage. The car came off warranty a few weeks later.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm considering selling it back to them except I really like the car.

Thanks - Charlie in CT

Reply to
Charles Dvorak

OOoh... ahhh... I wanted one of these... however, no white or black car please... hehehe.

It could be a temporary coolant system leak... does it smell like antifreeze/sweet smell?

Don't try to sell back to dealer, they will eat you alive on depreciation cost and plus they will only pay you the lowest wholesale price... robbing you of thousands of dollars.

Reply to
Tiger

This is probably a small amount of anti freeze that was ejected from the cooling system, although front AND rear seems a bit odd, I guess it might have travelled on the winds??

It doesn't take much AF to produce a BUNCH of smoke. Perhaps the cooling system was slightly over full...

Just my guess. Marty

This would have made hotter then driving in most cases.

Yikes.

I think you'll be all right for now. Watch the coolant level.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

it is frosting up.

as it gets cold its not steam your seeing its the coil starting to freeze up.

turning it to EC will give it a chance to thaw out. if left on it will start to move less air. my truck does it and once i left it on and it turned in to a block of ice. keep your windows closed

bet it was real hummid out that day.

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man