95 SL320 Phone Upgrade

I'd like to upgrade the analogue phone that came with the 95 SL320 to the new cell phones. Is there a way of doing it where hands free module in the dash is still utilized/used instead of replacing it? is it just a matter of replacing the cable that rans from the cell phone (hidden in the center console) to the dash?

Please advise if anyone of you has done this...thanks.

Roque

Reply to
Mads & Cora Chaves

The MB dealer in N.Texas has told me that I have a digital phone system in my SL320 and that it can't be upgraded to a GSM phone system as of yet.I understand that Motorola makes the system for MB.But like Bose,they have an agreement with MB to make you go through the dealer.So I am stuck for now.In Dallas,the cellular phone companies are no longer activating the older digial cell service except Cingulair,and you have to have a Cingulair account now in order to have it activated in your car.It is a mess.This includes the 2004 MB SL as I understand.So there are a lot of upset MB customers out there right now with $2500 phone option packages that they can't use.I am hoping that MB will work with Motorola and have a special program where they will work with the owners of the older SL models to upgrade their phone packages to the GSM standard.It would be the right thing to do for MB.It would do a lot to smooth over much of the ill will that MB owners have developed toward the dealerships in the last 10 years.

Reply to
sl3204me

The (mobile phone) situation in the US is different to that in Europe, but something happened to me in my 2001 car with a factory-fitted phone kit that was similar in effect to what you are describing. The cradle was suitable for a variety of Nokia handsets, this being fine as Nokia has the biggest market share. However, about a year later Nokia's principal new phone (6310i) did not fit anymore, despite having a '6' prefix.

Equipment modification would have cost GBP 250 (Germany) or GBP 400 (UK). I was outraged.

Even though it wasn't entirely MB's fault, fortunately my (German) dealer found a way to do the upgrade FOC as a warranty issue... :-)

I had to arrange a drive to Germany from London, as I had bought the car there. It took a few months to find the opportunity but it was no hardship.

Have you contacted MB US? Try the marketing director.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling