96 E-class, headlights or just doors needed

Folks, long time no see. W210 issue We've been dealing with a lot of used 1996 through 2002 e-class's. Every single one we've had so far had doll faded headlight lenses. We ended up twice already buying the entire assembly, what I like to know, is there any company who sell's just the lenses (headlight doors or bazles). I know they can be removed just like the old e-class's (124), I've done that after one of our newly purchased assemblies got damaged during shipping. Please, if anybody has a source for these let me know ASAP. You can either call (which would be very nice since I have to make the purchase this afternoon) or you can e-mail me snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600

I guess I should have left my phone number. (757) 723-2112 Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600

Hello,

You can thank NHTSA for those crappy regulations involving the headlamps on US edition.

NHTSA (American safety regulations) didn't stipulate the ultraviolet protection to be included as ECE (European and international de facto safety regulations) did. The domestic manufacturers pressurised NHTSA in

1982 to omit the ultraviolet protection as the "cost factor and benefit" under the ridiculous 1972 federal law.

In addition, NHTSA requires the lense and reflector to be glued or sealed together whilst ECE permits the lense to be removable. It is supposedly due to the idiotic mentality amongst NHTSA people who thought of injury and liability if the person touched the illuminated headlamp bulb. The fact that there are much worse dangers such as cooling fan chopping the hands into cubes, batteries exploding the acid, carburettors or fuel system catching fire, and so forth seemed to escape NHTSA...

Oliver

Bnzmn600 wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

I was afraid it was an american type problem, just didn't seem like Mercedes would use this crap in any other country. Thanks for filling me on this, I really appreciate it. Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600

Martin, The Brinson company sells the lens seperately. They can be reached at

1-800-535-8788. Just replaced one on a 140 body last week, piece of cake to replace. Cost was around $35.00.

Dave Classic Imports, Inc.

Reply to
karma-kanic