96 E320 Brakes

I changed the brake pads (front) last week, and the pedal seems soft. Do the lines have to be bled after a brake job? I pumped the pedal but it never really firmed up.

Was the pedal soft before you changed the pads?
Sounds like you nee brake fluid flush anyway considering the age of the vehicle.
New pads give a soft pedal for a week or so, especially if the rotors are worn (not flat and smooth). Good idea to change the brake fluid after a few years regardless of the pads.
permission.
"-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote in

Can I just open one of the bleeder valves and pump out all the fluid, or do I have to do all of them?
It is suggested you do all of them, but yes, you can do a pair if you like.