96 E320 Mass Air Flow Sensor..

Hello all,

I read somewhere that this may need just a cleaning rather than replacing when they generate an error code. I removed the sensor from the housing to take a look at it and it looked clean. The piece that is actually protruding inside the housing looks like a printed circuit board, I'm not even sure how you would clean this. Any advice anyone, is it possible to clean it or should I replace it? The best price I could find on the web for a replacement is $307, is this about the norm?

Thanks,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin S.

CRC makes an MAF cleaner. It is $6 a can at Pep Boys. For some people the effect lasts. For others it only helps for a day or maybe a week (my case). The key is to get a spray that does not leave any residue. Some people use brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner but I would spend a couple of bucks more to get the dedicated stuff.

You might want to check GermanStar.net in CO. They sell the insert piece only (which you now know how to pull out) for some Mercedes at reasonable prices. For a C Class, it is only $129 plus $10 shipping. I called and asked them about it and they said it is a genuine Bosch part that is the right one for the car. You don't get the plastic surround tube but you know how to swap out with your old one, so just clean up the old tube and save some $$$.

Doug

Reply to
-

A new air filter is a good idea too to avoid the new MAF getting damaged too soon.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Reply to
Martin S.

Hi Harri,

I just ordered one from German Star for $99 plus shipping. The guy was very up front about the sensor which isn't a Bosch part saying that one in ten are dead on delivery, but it has a twelve month warranty so you can return it for a replacement. Also, once installed if they work they generally last as long as the OEM part.

I need to replace the oxygen sensor before the cat as well, it looks like you have to jack the car up to get at this, is this correct or I'm I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin S.

I received a PO170 code on my '97 E320. Started and ran perfectly otherwise. Prior to the code display I had checked, but not replaced, the paper air filter element. Some dust must have been deposited onto the MAS.

Paid dealer $70 for a diagnosis and estimate only. Diagnosis was MAS, estimate about $460. Car's mileage about 37K - 38K.

So with nothing to lose I removed the MAS and then the sensor from the stovepipe housing. Then I used a (smoker's) pipe cleaner to very very carefully brush the wire(s) clean. I didn't see any dirt or dust on the pipe cleaner so the MAS must have been pretty clean!

That was about two years ago so my careful cleaning must have worked and it saved considerable $$ vs. the dealer's $460 estimate.

During the investigation I noticed that the MAS for my '97 E320 has an "early" and "late" version - your car may be similar. The "early" version can be disassembled, I'm not so sure about the "late" version.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

My 96 E320 MAS can be dismantled too, however it isn't a wire element, it looks more like a small printed circuit board.

I managed to get a non-oem replacement for $99, this is just the sensor NOT the complete housing. The connector for my MAS is a round twist on style rather than a standard push in connector.

Reply to
Martin S.

You are definitely looking the right place. Sensor is located between exhaust manifold and catalysator. It has one electrical wire on it and there is nothing else like this there.

Is this I6 or V6 engine? V6 has 2 Oxygen sensors (one at each side of the engine) but I suppose I6 has only one.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

That is very interesting. Maybe it is a Pierberg. When I called last week, I specifically asked the guy if it was a Bosch or something like a Pierberg. He assured me it was a Bosch OEM. This was for a C Class though and $129 instead of $99. Maybe that is the difference. Makes you wonder though...

Doug

Reply to
-

This definitely wasn't Bosch, I didn't think MB sold the parts separately anyway. When I receive it I'll post back here on the make of the sensor.

Reply to
Martin S.