'96 S500 w140 oil pressure gauge

Hi,

I was wondering how to interpret the oil pressure gauge on my 96 mercedes S500. Most of the time it's all the way up. Sometimes, it does drop considerably between 1 and 2 on the scale if running idle. So far I assume that is normal?

However, when it is low and I press the accelerator so that the car starts moving, the pressure goes up a bit but stays well under the maximum, with the needle between 2 and 3 and only when the car is accelerated faster it goes back up again.

The oil level warning light stays off at all times with the car running.

Any comments, advice?

Cheers,

Guido

Reply to
Guido

Guido, I'm not sure if this applies to your situation - but I've had a similar experience. The oil pressure did not go up unless I 'really' pushed down on the gas pedal. It is normal for the pressure to drop to '1' but should 'always' come up to max under any small acceleration. In my case this didn't happen because the oil filter bypass valve spring had become weak. In other words, the 'Fram' filter wasn't filtering anymore. Replaced the filter with a new Bosch one and all was fine. My have anything against Fram?... Nooo

:-) cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz
*Specified oil pressure at Oil Temperature 80=B0C:

600 - 750 RPM : Approximately 1.3 bar

1000 RPM : Approximately 2.2 bar 2000 RPM : Approximately 4.8 bar 3000 RPM : Approximately 5.1 bar 4000 RPM : Approximately 5.3 bar

Gauge only goes to 3 bar, which should then be reached at 1500 RPM.

Thicker (and colder) oil leads to increased pressure at low RPM.

Reply to
Jens

Guenter,

Thanks for that. Can I defer this to the next oil change or do you think I should take remedial action immediately? Cheers,

Guido

Reply to
Guido
*Specified oil pressure at Oil Temperature 80°C:

Thanks, Jens, most helpful.

Guido

Reply to
Guido