96 UK E320 (210 engine) roof sunroof mechanism

I've recently purchsed the above car and the sunroof does not work, can somebody please help -- where is the motor and mechanics ? I've checked the fuse and it is ok, I would be grateful for any help.

TIA

Tony Hann.

Reply to
edward

My S-class had same problem and motor drive was in rear left boot at side of wing. I had a spanner in tool kit supplied with car to operate manually if roof failed. I wound the roof back with this and after removing trim could get a bit of grease on the drive cable with a small screwdriver. It then operated ok so I put a bit more grease on in different places and it has been fine since.Best advice is to fully open and close once a week even in winter as mine had not been used for 6 months and had evidently seized up.Check history on this site as others may have had other problems if something else has gone. GOOD LUCK REGARDS DON

Reply to
DON

A tagential question that has been puzzling me for a while since I started reading this newsgroup: is a sunroof what North Americans call a moon roof?

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Its all in the sunroof cartridge, which is behind the headlining. Probably cables/motor. Be prepared for an expensive repair.....

Reply to
miknik

Not really, getting the cartridge in and out is a two man job. Its not technically that difficult, just very time consuming removing the headlining and you have to be very careful not to crease it.

Reply to
miknik