97 C230 IR Key problem

My key fob has stopped unlocking the car doors. I have tried both keys I have with fresh batteries. I recall having this happen before and I flashed
the key fob at the rear view mirror a number of times and then started the car and then the key worked on the doors. I can't seem to get it to work this time.
Is there a specific routine you have to go through to reprogram the keys?
Thanks
Richard
| My key fob has stopped unlocking the car doors. I have tried both keys I | have with fresh batteries. I recall having this happen before and I flashed | the key fob at the rear view mirror a number of times and then started the | car and then the key worked on the doors. I can't seem to get it to work | this time. | | Is there a specific routine you have to go through to reprogram the keys? | | Thanks | | Richard | |
From inside the car zap the mirror briefly twice, then turn the ignition switch to position 2 within thirty seconds.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately still no go. The LED's on both keys light up so I think the keys are working.
Richard

I just bought a '98 C230. What does zapping the mirror have to do with programming the remote? ( or what's the purpose of this maneuver?)
Thanks.
Bob