97 E320- any good?

Any advice on a 97 E320??? 80,000 miles. What would this kind of car require in guesstimated future repairs, know issues, etc.. thank you!

--
B'Regards,

Vinnie
You can get all the info on edmunds.com... where people can post feedback... but more importantly... JD Power survey.
Based on 01 E320. the car has been very reliable. Typical problem was AC that went out 3 times... every time was the evaporator temperature sensor. The passenger side mirror sticking after going from reverse (where it tilts down) and when you drive, it is supposed to go back to original position but stuck. Fuel gauge went bad one time where it was inaccurate (typical problem)... no problem since replacement..
No electrical problem... tranny is fantastic... Brake is normal wear... perhaps a bit too fast which can be corrected with aftermarket parts. Other than that... no problem at all...
I own a 1997 e 320 purchased new has 28k only problem i has was with the computer keys. when they go you cant start the car. mercedes did make good on it under the good will waRRANTY.
I've owned one since new. My experience is good, it's a nice driver particularly on the freeway, expect 26 mpg there. My car has now gone 33K miles; my experience is:
The engine's valve cover and front seal leaked oil and were replaced under warranty at 18K miles.
This straight six has an iron block and an aluminum cylinder head which expand and contract at slightly different rates; that strains the cylinder head gasket so it seems to fail after 150K miles.
The car has quite wide tires, IMHO, which are sensitive to incorrect front toe-in. When the toe-in is incorrect the tires wear and the car is a bit "squirmy" on uneven local roads in the sense that it doesn't glide ahead quite straight but a bit in a zig zag motion as the uneven roadway exerts more or less force on each front tire. It's a minor point, more of a symptom of incorrect toe-in than "a problem".
If you buy one you should know that the paint is water based and the layer is thin. At the factory they told me to wax it but not polish it for the polish would wear the already thin paint layer.
Finally, there was a recall for the side airbags to be modified, suggest you check with MBUSA that this was done before you pass the cash.
Thank you all.
I am concerned what to expect- I've owned one since day 1- and am faced with putting alot of money into repairing it- Definite evaporator leak (not the temp sensor) as well as the trans. control box... seems an 'o' ring leaked.... yes, I'm getting hammered and altough we all know no 2 cars are alike, your responses certainly mean something to me in terms of fix or dump- that's for sure... ! Again, thank you!

AC system does not work properly after paying 1500
Had to replace Head Gasket 1100
replaced front wheel bearing 300
moter mount broke under warrenty
alignment and new tires are next!
Over all happy with the power and smooth ride. Raced it the other day .... Acceleration is good at first but then it really takes off! (rocket like)
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:03:00 +0000, Uncle Vinnie wrote:

Thanks...
I've had a plague of issues recently with mine- including AC, Tranny control box, etc.... I bought this new in 97... and am being hit with all of this- (I've had problems in the past, btw.._)
Amazing.. and it's a Mercedes! Guess next time, I'll buy a good car! (!) (My 98 ML320 isn't much better..!)