'97 E320 - dim outside temperature light

After 8 years and 36K miles the outside temperature light readout is at half strength. I assume a bulb has burned out - how is it replaced?

Easy? or Complicated?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I recently posted this response to a similar question... the bulbs may not be the same part number, but the access procedure should not be too different (I'm lazy, so will just do a cut and paste):

Snip--->

If the display darkens (background *and* numerals), it could be the backlight(s) for the LCD display. LCDs are variable filters which must be illuminated from behind to actually display anything. The lamps used are typically like the 1.5 watt bulb seen at the bottom of this page (Osram bulb with beige plastic base $1.58 each, as what my CLK uses):

If they are the culprit, they are accessed from the backside of the instrument panel. I meant to take and post some pics and details of my CLK's instrument cluster when I had it out, but have not had time (sorry).

Basically, if the steering wheel can be moved down or extended, do so... the extra clearance makes it easier to work on the panel. Next, two hooked removal tools (available from Mercedes or can be made from stiff wire) are inserted between the dash padding and the cluster, one each at the ten o'clock and two o'clock positions, they are then rotated, and the instrument cluster can be pulled out:

You may have two electrical cables on the back... one on each side. When the instrument cluster is out enough to gain access, slip the (gray?) retainer down and pivot out the connector, do the same for the other side and the dash will come right out. You'll see a bunch of lamps on the back side. Replace the ones that are behind the problem display. Of course it may just be a loose connector (less likely, IMO), but the cluster would also have had to been removed to reseat them.

Reassembly is a snap. Put the cluster back near the opening, re-insert the cables and pop their retainers back up, then push the cluster back into the opening... voila... finis!

Sounds tough, but the whole shebang can be done in well under an hour the first time through it... if you ever need to do it again for other lamps, you'll be able to do it in fifteen minutes or less (hey, you're a pro now!)

DISCLAIMERS:

IF YOU FEEL AT ALL UNCOMFORTABLE DOING THIS, THEN DON'T!!!!

ALSO: THIS MAY *NOT* BE THE ROOT OF YOUR PROBLEM!!!

Not to belabor the point, but you may not be aware that there are three lamps behind this display. One for the left (Temperature), center (Trip Odometer and Odometer), and right (Clock). The numbers for any section (is this what you are referring to as a segment?) will be washed out or even completely invisible if the associated back light is not working (the other "segments" will appear normal). The back lights do not merely provide background light "splashed" on the display, but are what actually makes the numbers "glow". No light, no numbers for that segment!

The sections you mentioned ("the mileage and temp display segments") are controlled by the left and center backlamps (two bulbs). They are filament style bulbs (not LEDs) and if they are loose or damaged, the results would be the symptoms you described.

Just a little food for thought!

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

Thanks for the information and opinion.