'97 E320 intermittently not starting?

I have a 1997 W210 E320 with 78,000 on the clock that has twice acted up in the past few weeks. Simply put, it did not start, and then after about a minute or so of chilling, it started right up. To go over all
the details, the first time it was warm, and after a few hundred miles on the highway when stopping for a break. The other time it was cold, after sitting all day on the street.
Both times, I could hear the fuel pump priming when I turned the key to 'on,' however there was no smell of unburnt fuel from the pipe after cranking it a bit. There were no signs of misfiring, idiot lights, or anything else to indicate a problem. Then, in both cases, the car started and ran perfectly as if nothing happened after a minute of waiting.
Does anyone have any experience with this happening with their 210? I've only had the car for 10k and half a year, so this is really the first issue we've encountered. Any suggestions would be great.
JS
How old is the battery?
I don't know - but it seems to have plenty of CCAs left in it.

I have a 96 with 180k on it. Exact same thing happened to me, and I listened for the fuel pump like you did to try to isolate what the problem was. I replaced the plugs, wires, etc.. It stranded me a couple of times, and when I went back, it started up fine. I saw that the previous owner had problems too and the reciepts says the dealer did several things to try to fix it, but nothing worked. Anyway, the problem went away on it's own. I haven't had a problem in about 8 months. And I have no clue what the problem was. All I can say is hang in there and
Thanks for the note. I had an upstairs neighbor who's a Mercedes technician briefly look at it and he mentioned that it could be a crankcase position sensor, but he's wary if my car even has one. Like you said, the problem seems like it's solving itself, and the car has yet to truly strand me anywhere. I'll wait until it does then...
in