97 E420 Factory Installed TELEPHONE

Hey Guys,
I purchased a 97 E420 last November and it came with an installed TELEPHONE.
I'm interested in removing the PHONE and wonder if anyone know of any
problems I might run into and REGRET?
I figure to put that space (in 2 places) to better use.
Thanks in advance.
Hez of the Pacific NW
What alternatives do you have for hands-free phoning?
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com> wrote in message
news:p8Gbe.13500$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

I can think of about 1000 off hand.
Any modern cell with a headset for one.
No cell phone company that I know of still supports the analog phones. Peter

I didn't think it was necessarily analogue. You could ne right, though.
DAS
"Peter W Peternouschek" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message
This has been a big problem for a lot of owners. The systems have to be modified. Take a look at www.mikbox.com =========================BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Interesting device. An analogue phone on a 1997 car can only be an 'American' problem, though I think that Merc was offering screwed-to-the-car phones even here (Europe) until just a few years ago (maybe even now???).
Whilst we are not quite so restricted as regards handset models, there are limitations. When I took delivery my car in 2001 the cradle could take a whole string of popular Nokia phones, including mine. About a year later I lost it and bought a newer model (the ubiquitous and excellent 6310i), which did not work although it was part of the 6000 range, all of which were supposed to. (My dealer upgraded the software and changed the cradle under warranty....)
The answer must be Bluetooth or something similar, as phone models are proliferating like rabbits, now that the have become a commodity.
DAS
"Buckshop LeFunk" < snipped-for-privacy@leFunk.com> wrote in message
news:kaWbe.1476$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.lga...