99 E Class instrument cluster removal

Hello, I hope someone can tell me how to remove the instrument cluster (if necessary). One of the lights behind the temperature display appears to be out and I need to replace it.
Could someone point in the right direction? I don't want to pay the dealer a hundred bucks just to change a bulb. Thanks much.
99 E Class instrument cluster removal Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Fri, Jul 18, 2003, 2:25pm (PDT+7) From: snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (GME) Hello, I hope someone can tell me how to remove the instrument cluster (if necessary). One of the lights behind the temperature display appears to be out and I need to replace it. Could someone point in the right direction? I don't want to pay the dealer a hundred bucks just to change a bulb. Thanks much. ****************************************************** Same thing happened to me (dealer wanted $100) The IC is held in place by two rubber strips at the top in the rear and slips out of two detents at the bottom in the front Ordered these Instrument Cluster Pull hooks ($24.99) plus shipping MB part #140 589 02 33 00 They slip in at the top of your instrument cluster between the dash and IC You turn them and hook on to the back on the IC and gently pull simultaenously The top comes forward and then disengage the bottom, revealing two connectors at the rear Each connector has a U shaped plastic retainer, that when pulled up disengages the connector from the IC Then work the IC (gently) to the right and remove If you have adjustable steering column, move steering wheel as far forward and down as possible to ease removal Since these lamps appear to be priority parts, you'll have to get it from your MB Dealer Parts Dept Replace lamp (bayonet mount, twist and remove) Assembly is reversal of removal Internet source for parts: www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm

You can make the same thing out of old coathangers.
Looks like Mercedes instrument clusters havn't changed much over the years. Here's complete illustrated instuctions:
http://instrument.mbzarticles.org/renew /
--
Richard Sexton | MB, BMW parts: http://buyeuroparts.com

Its a 5 minute job if you have some instrument cluster tools
http://www.miknik.dsl.pipex.com/merc/cluster /
Buy em from your dealer, or I'll post you a set along with some bulbs for 22 bucks...
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
Thanks everyone for all your help. I should now be able to do this. Thanks again.