99 E320

Brakes seem strage- on depressing the brake pedal there is an oscillation/vibration sense- it improves if I power wash the front wheels...does wheel cleaner or tire polish cause brake dust to cake inside the caliper?

Reply to
rwh

Maybe you just need wheel balancing to begin with.

Reply to
Tiger

Hey Tiger, what would cause the front brakes to be dustier than the rear? Wrong pads?

What pads would you suggest that stop good and yet aren't nearly as dusty?

I used to use the splintered metallic brake pads on my Porsches. Are they recommended or would it wear the rotators too fast?

Thanks for all your help here, James

Reply to
James O'Riley

I just thought that was down to the brake bias be heavily in favour of the front brakes rather than any particular pad material.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

It is TUV law that requires front brake pads to include graphite for better braking quality... hence the black dust. Buying other brands will reduce that or eliminate the dust.

Reply to
Tiger

So that's what is making my nice alloys so dirty even in perfectly dry weather....

David

Reply to
David J

Hmmm...but does it apply to those of us in NA? I googled but didn't find anything about it.

Reply to
James O'Riley

Yep because the car is made in Germany!

Reply to
Tiger

I suspect a warped disk (rotor) may be the culprit

Reply to
Buzby

If I understand correctly it was built in Birmingham, Alabama's assembly plant, otherwise my Road Service wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found

. In that PDF file a footnote shows: "The Chrysler assembly plants are coded as domestic, whereas the Mercedes assembly plant in Alabama is coded as foreign."

So that explains why the Road Service is honored here in the USA. I then assume that those sold in Canada are shipped over from Germany and they don't have the lifetime service we enjoy. :-)

Reply to
James O'Riley

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:15:17 -0700, James O'Riley

Reply to
jdoe

Reply to
James O'Riley

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:38:04 -0700, James O'Riley

don't understand. Even the dealer tells me that's the requirements and I've used it once with no charge.

You and/or your dealer are very confused because ,and I don't know when it started, any mb sold in the US, regardless of where it was built, gets roadside assistance and this has been the case for at least the last 15 years or so

Reply to
jdoe

Ditto.... roadside assistance is free to all MB owner... used or new... doesn't matter which owner you are... everyone who owns MB gets free roadside assistance.

As for where it is made... it doesn't matter! MB is German... period.

Reply to
Tiger

I guess you're right Tiger, I couldn't find my erroneous information on the Internet, and the dealer said he couldn't remember saying it to me. Blame it on old age, poor memory and whatever else I have. :-D

Reply to
James O'Riley

In article , James O'Riley wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found

. In that PDF file a>footnote shows:

assembly plant in Alabama is coded as

that those sold in Canada are

Pads are cheaper than rotors, so they're sacrificed. That's why they have graphite in them, to keep the rotors alive longer.

Reply to
Richard Sexton