99 E320

Brakes seem strage- on depressing the brake pedal there is an oscillation/vibration sense- it improves if I power wash the front wheels...does wheel cleaner or tire polish cause brake dust to cake inside
the caliper?
Maybe you just need wheel balancing to begin with.
Tiger wrote:

Hey Tiger, what would cause the front brakes to be dustier than the rear? Wrong pads?
What pads would you suggest that stop good and yet aren't nearly as dusty?
I used to use the splintered metallic brake pads on my Porsches. Are they recommended or would it wear the rotators too fast?
Thanks for all your help here, James
I just thought that was down to the brake bias be heavily in favour of the front brakes rather than any particular pad material.
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
It is TUV law that requires front brake pads to include graphite for better braking quality... hence the black dust. Buying other brands will reduce that or eliminate the dust.

So that's what is making my nice alloys so dirty even in perfectly dry weather....
David
David J wrote:

Hmmm...but does it apply to those of us in NA? I googled but didn't find anything about it.
Yep because the car is made in Germany!
Tiger wrote:

If I understand correctly it was built in Birmingham, Alabama's assembly plant, otherwise my Road Service wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found http://tinyurl.com/jc59s . In that PDF file a footnote shows:
"The Chrysler assembly plants are coded as domestic, whereas the Mercedes assembly plant in Alabama is coded as foreign."
So that explains why the Road Service is honored here in the USA. I then assume that those sold in Canada are shipped over from Germany and they don't have the lifetime service we enjoy. :-)

otherwise my Road Service wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found http://tinyurl.com/jc59s . In that PDF file a footnote shows:
I don't think any e classes are made in the US, MLs come from there
jdoe wrote:

plant, otherwise my Road Service wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found http://tinyurl.com/jc59s . In that PDF file a footnote shows:

Then how could I have gotten free Roadside Assistance? There's something here I don't understand. Even the dealer tells me that's the requirements and I've used it once with no charge.

plant, otherwise my Road Service wouldn't have been any good. But further searching found http://tinyurl.com/jc59s . In that PDF file a footnote shows:

don't understand. Even the dealer tells me that's the requirements and I've used it once with no charge.
You and/or your dealer are very confused because ,and I don't know when it started, any mb sold in the US, regardless of where it was built, gets roadside assistance and this has been the case for at least the last 15 years or so
Ditto.... roadside assistance is free to all MB owner... used or new... doesn't matter which owner you are... everyone who owns MB gets free roadside assistance.
As for where it is made... it doesn't matter! MB is German... period.
Tiger wrote:

I guess you're right Tiger, I couldn't find my erroneous information on the Internet, and the dealer said he couldn't remember saying it to me. Blame it on old age, poor memory and whatever else I have. :-D

Pads are cheaper than rotors, so they're sacrificed. That's why they have graphite in them, to keep the rotors alive longer.

I suspect a warped disk (rotor) may be the culprit