99 e320 heater control

I started the car and turned on the heater. The fan controlworked backwards, ie: the fan reduce speed as I pushed the bbutton to increase it. Then I tried to turn it off and the fan came on full speed and the
air was cold. No mater what I did it seemed to work backwards. The heater, when it works correctly, must be set above 80 degrees to get warm into the car
Any info on what's wrong would be appreciated.