99 S Class vs. 03 S Class or E Class or 545 BMW

I'm considering replacing my 99 S Class S420 and looking at "upgrading" to a

2001-2003 S Class, or a 2003 E Class or some year or another 545 BMW.

The 99 is very weak on brakes, and slow and ponderous because of its weight. The newer S Class is 700 lbs lighter with the same engine in the 430 (or better in the 500). I can get by with the space in the 5 series BMW or E Class Mercedes (2003 models in both, not the new Bangle disaster), but I have a feeling my 99 is better engineered and may be more reliable and cheaper to keep than the others.

Any opinions?

Reply to
Larry Wallerstein

E Class is the better choice, IMHO. Well engineered, efficient size and good performer, even with the V-6.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You might want to consider Quality Ratings before you make your choice. There are several sources: J.D. Powers, Edmunds, Consumers Reports, Car and Driver, Road and Track and many others. In recent years MB quality has fallen far below BMW and Lexus in the opinion of most sources. I have a 2001 MB E-430 and face the same decision soon. Unless MB quality improves drastically, I will look at the Lexus LS-430. The newer generation of "Bangledized" BMWs are very unattractive, in my opinion, although the quality is still excellent. I also have a 2003

530i BMW that I th> I'm considering replacing my 99 S Class S420 and looking at "upgrading" to a
Reply to
RJM

BMW has always been a very sporty driver car... quick steering... very responsive engine... good sporty suspension... The only thing I don't like about BMW is rapid depreciation... it is a nightmare after 2 or 3 years. Even for used car buyer... soon after they buy it, it depreciate much faster. Maybe this is a case because of current market condition... but BMW seems to depreciate quite more than MB...

MB is more refined driving... that is until you aggressively drive the car... they it become pretty sporty. Tire size is a bit small on older cars... This is what I always hated on MB... they put too small of a tire on it... so the steering response is subdued. MB is a much smoother riding car... yet firm. It is because of different type of suspension than BMW which I like MB type better. Brake is never a weak factor on MB... at least with aftermarket pads... which I always use.

I better stop rambling on... anyway, that is my opinion.

Reply to
Tiger

In my experience I haven't found that to be true. And ALG, Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book all report that the 5 series holds, on average, 68 % of it's MSRP

*after* 36 months (their projections are the same for the new model as well). The E-Class did not retain that same percentage level of value. I think that is probably the result of there being so many E-Classes on the road.

In any case, in this size segment, believe it or not, the GS 300 has the best comparative resale value after both 3 years and 5 years. That surprised me. It's not a very popular new car here in Denver so I didn't think it would be popular enough as a used vehicle to demand such a high resale price.

Reply to
Jess Englewood

Over the past 20 years I've owned eight MB's including two S-class (80 and 84 300SD). I've presently got three E-series and an SL. I think the E-series is generally more reliable and less costly longterm. YMMV.........

Reply to
jav

"Larry Wallerstein" wrote

The comparable BMW to the S class is the 7 series. The current 745i will run rings around the old S420; more comparable to a S500 (although you can't get a short-wheelbase S500 in the US).

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr