A/C Clutch Removal--search?

First off, whenever I ask or answer a question on this group, I do a search to see if it has been answered before or has been answered better than the answer I might give. For some reason, on any browser I'm using I'm not getting more than one return on ANY question I ask. Has something changed?

Meanwhile, the belt on my air conditioner has failed on my 1984 300SD. Usually not huge problem. The trouble this time is the departing belt took the electrical connector to the clutch with it--a blue plastic affair. I can see the other part of the connector behind the clutch pulley. So, how do I remove the clutch pulley without removing the compressor to access the wiring and see if I can fix it? My repair manual takes the litigiously prudent route and tells me to take it to a shop. Since I just recharged the thing, paying someone to discharge it to remove it seems silly. Or is it?

Any help on the search and the pulley removal would be appreciated.

Reply to
My Oregon Shop

Commuter

For what it's worth, NONE of my search queries are returning any results at all.

Reply to
randallbrink

Alot fo time, the price of the replacement clutch is too high to justify the cost to repair it.

This is the tool you need to remove it. I know you don't want to lose what you paid for the AC service, but it is better overall to replace that compressor and redo it again.

The compressor is not as expensive as you think so.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks, Tiger. The compressor is fine and the a/c was blowing cold. It was just the belt failing and taking out the clutch wiring connector. If I get the clutch off I can see if I can wire around the broken wires. Thanks again.

Reply to
My Oregon Shop