A/C compressor - tired?

Hi,
Shouldn't the clutch of the compressor turn over smoothly? Just last week got a friend help me charge the system up and now it is not cooling at all
:-(( This NipponDenso compressor model 10P17C on 1990 560 sel seems to be too willing to turn over on its clutch? I thought I should expect to have the feeling of some reasonably "resistant" in turning over like the shop air compressor? Could it be that charging at a higher pressure (ie more than 40 psi) can possibly damage its suction side? Maybe it just time to pack up.
Am going to remove the compressor, any tips and or suggestion appreciated.
TIA
...richard
Ricardo: I recently replaced the A/C pump for my 91 300E because it stopped working along with a dryer and expansion valve. It still didn't perform well and had higher than normal head preasure. Come to find out the pump had deteriated and left deposites in the system clogging the condenser [front coil] i cleaned it with A/C cleaner designed for A/C's. Something to look for, a clogged system if it's not working and should be.

than
up.