A/C from R12 to R124(?) in stages?

Hi all
    in my '89 300E (pristine condition) my evaporator has a small (?we believe) hole. The re and re of the dashboard scares me not to mention the CDN 2K. The
thought occurs that it might be worthwhile to convert to the readily available refrigerant (R134 I guess it is) first and then see how long it lasts. Then to do the evaporator repair if the refrigerant leaks out in days. On the other hand, if it stays in there for months....
Anyone go through similar pains? what did you do?
regards

Stu Ritter, who fixed these things for decades had IMO the best take on this: "If you repace one broken pare another will fail and soon the labour cost adds up. If it's 10 yrs old, replace everything in one fell swoop and don't worry about A/C for another 10 years".
--
OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com
Once you convert, you cannot use another refrigerant without replacing all major components. To remove R12 a complete evacuation with correct equipment is required because of incompatability of R12 oil and the PAG oil used in 134A. P.

believe)
The
available
Then to do

hand,
Your best way to go is to stay with the R-12 system. Find and fix the leak and/or parts that need to be replaced. R-12 is superior to R-134 in cooling. And the price of R-12 freon is dropping monthly. Repeat, stay with the R-12.