A Class Autobox

I have a 2003 A140 Classic with a tiptronic autobox. I've just taken it back to the garage today because performance is sluggish. The car has major problems climbing minor hills & the rev counter goes as
high as 5000 rpm before a change is made. Does anyone else have this problem or is it a characteristic of the 1.4 engine mated to a tiptronic box ? I'd be grateful for any advice guys.