A Class Gearbox Failure at 50k ?!?

My father and step-mother have a later model A Class, which broke down on them a few weeks ago. The AA guy diagnosed gear selection problems (it's an auto) and to get the linkage adjusted at the next service,
which was due soon. Turns out - according to Mercedes - that it needed a new gearbox, which cost them over 3000. This despite only 50k miles on the clock and full Mercedes service history from new!
Mercedes refused to contribute in any way. Is this a common fault and normal behaviour by the manufacturer? I am astounded it wasn't at least repairable. Do they have any recourse, other than a stiff letter to Mercedes?
Put it on youtube.com and rant about it... maybe Mercedes will look and try to buy you off...
Tiger wrote:

Get your mechanic to check and change the gearbox oil - see and search www.baby-benz.com as this type of failure is common. Cheers
Rhino Djanghardt wrote:

Get your mechanic to check the gearbox oil. See and search www.baby-benz.com as it is a common problem often due to low oil level in the gearbox. Cheers
| | Get your mechanic to check the gearbox oil. See and search | www.baby-benz.com as it is a common problem often due to low oil level | in the gearbox. Cheers
Surely dealership staff would not be so incompetent to not check for something so basic first ?
If that turns out to be the case then they are absolute *morons* and shouldn't be allowed any where near a Benz.
All parts inside the transmission are available, including the housing, they can be rebuilt, its a case of them not wanting to open it.
.. or, indeed, any other car... :-)
DAS
"TPr" < snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:46f844c1$0$4549$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
You are assuming that they have integrity. I took my Subaru to a shop a few years ago to have them clear codes and reset the check engine light. It had come on because of a massive vacuum leak that I caused and fixed. They would only do it on condition that I get a complete diagnostic-which resets the computer. The diagnostic claimed that my catalytic converter was bad, which they seemed eager to replace for me, and even offered a payment plan since they wanted over a grand for it. I told them no, paid my one hour labor and left. That car passed emissions weeks later with no gasses out of spec at all. I think it would be generous to conclude that they made a hurried diagnosis, and not generous to say that they were trying to cheat me out of a lot of money. If it is the case that the transmission is merely low on fluid, then they are either morons like you say, or they are trying to cheat you. In this case it benefits them to be moronic, which is really unfortunate.
Bill