A Class steering problems

Dear ng,
I wonder if anyone has experience of this problem?
I have a 2 year old LWB A Class right hand drive. It's an old model. It's had several niggling problems despite having <10K on the clock. The most
recent one is that when the car goes over a bump in the road at around 15-25 mph, there is a dull thud from the front wheels. If you turn the steering wheel fairly roughly from lock to lock (giving yourself a fair bit of room on an empty road!), it's possible to coax various clonks and thuds from the steering.
I took the car back to MB and they replaced a number of components FOC. No problem. The parts they replaced were the shaft that runs across the engine that has a universal joint on each end; I think it carries the steering from the RHS of the car to the rack and pinion assembly (which is obviously designed for a LH drive vehicle).
It came back working correctly and I've driven the car for about 50 miles but now I can tell that the problem is coming back.
There is also a minor problem that the front near side suspension gives a little squeal when driving over a speed ramp (I have about 10 on the way to work). I'm doing about 15mph. It's not one of those hard plastic ones, but a gentle tarmac one designed to keep drivers below 30mph.
So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the resolution?
TIA.
--
D. Gently

David Wynne wrote:

Probably front anti roll bar droplinks and rear springs.
See www.babybenz.com for more info - it's a UK A class site and forum.
--
The speaker system brings the sound,
In light effects I'm spinnin round
>>So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the resolution?<<
Hundreds (if not thousands) of right hand drive owners.
Dave S
David Wynne wrote:

Dear Dave,
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I sold the A class and bought a Honda Jazz.
The baby-benz site is very good; the driver experiences recounted therein are one of the reasons why I gave up on the A class. I briefly considered a new model A class but it's so expensive and may not be any better.
It's quite interesting to compare the contents of the MB and Honda newsgroups. MB is basically divided into 2 types of posting; owners of pre-1990 cars who're surprised that something's gone wrong for the first time and owners of post-90 cars who're struggling with a disinterested dealer and/or duff car. All Honda postings seem to be about really minor non-design/build problems. Ayway, I'm sure I'll have egg on my face in 12 months time!
Thanks again for the posting.
--
David

David
I agree with you regarding MB dealers. We have a new A Class 160 CDI Classic with which we have had NO PROBLEMS since delivery. Also a 1998 250TDI C Class which had various problems on delivery. However it has proved extremely reliable subsequently (since it left the MB Service network!). The new A_class has proved to have better 'delivered quality' than my wife's previous car (Toyota), IMHO a much improved vehicle, we only hope that it will continue !.
Dave S