A MB Newbie - Finally got a '82 300 TD some questions

I have been shopping for about 4 years now and finally got one. It's a '82 300 5 cyl. Turbo Diesel. 241,000 orginal miles. The owners kept accurate records of the car in the provided and additional MB Maint.
Booklets. Pretty Cool. It even has the original first aid kit in the pack (empty though). After looking and looking and getting burned on a ebay car last year I ran into one at the right time with the right price. I am an OK mechanic but this is my first diesel, I just cant wait to dive in and soak up the info. I am sure most if not all of these questions have been asked but I am exstatic and hope you all can help.
1. Windows. The passenger front and rear (behind the driver) power windows do not work. I want to get them back upto shape. What is the best way to do so? (parts...etc.)
2. A/C. I looked under the the hood and down to the right appears to be the AC Compressor. Now living in GA this is a must have. The dash does not have (what I find normally in older cars) a snowflake or AC button BUT it does have the rotating wheel (thermostat?) that goes from red (locked position) down to the coldest (w/also a locked position). I am definately new to this feature and hope that it truely is an AC unit.
3.The RPM gauge and Clock on the instrument panel are both not working. Is this just a fuse/relay?
4. The Instrument panel, and the (panel) area that houses the power window switches and dash panel LIGHTS are VERY VERY low. Again is this a fuse/relay, bulb...?
5. I love and get excited about all of the little aesthetics to these cars. Are or were there special features that are hard to find or that most people have forgotten about like... What was originally provided in the first aid kit? What kind of radio was originally in the car? Matching luggage for this late of a model? Euro Standard Triangle Warning signs? Were the inset of the MB logo on the magnesium wheel black (can these be replaced)? Just the little nuances like those.
Thanks so much for all your help ahead of time. It is greatly appreciated. Sorry for asking redundant questions, but I'm an excited newbie. Thanks again Bryan
Item 4. Brightness of light is on a dimmer. You should have a knob sticking out which you can turn.
Item 5. In Europe a radio was not standard, IIRC. If anything, it would probably have been a Becker.
DAS
"Bryan" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
Sounds like you bought the right car and know why you bought it! Congratulations.
Suggest you get a rather good, free parts catalog (paper) from www.performance products.com It has exploded parts diagrams so you'll learn the names of all the various parts (and their cost). Another supplier https://www.autohausaz.com/ has a good on-line catalog that you may want to check out.
Windows: Could be that: the switches are dirty, the relays are burned out or the "regulators" (motors) are burned out (in order of cost).
A/C: there's usually a Compressor ON/OFF button on the A/C control panel. Yes, it's supposed to be an automatic system BUT you need to switch the compressor ON for it to cool - not ON/OFF as in cycling but ON like one turns ON the headlights, for instance.
The tach is controlled by the small black mushroom like screw off cap on the left fender. Inside is a small circuit board that cracks over time and the tach dies. Sometimes the plug's contacts have a bit of corrosion and that prevents the tach's operation. The tach is really just an affectation for the transmission shifts appropriately with or without the tach. Unscrew it and plug it in and out a few times - it may come to life.
As to the diesel - it's a very simple engine once you understand it and requires regular maintenance and, given that, it's a very tough and durable motor. Post your questions here as they arise.
Good luck with your car.

They're on the same fuse.

The automatic climate contron will pump heat or a/c to keep it at the temp you select.

The clock is usually a busted capaciter and the tach is usually a fried tach amp.

No, old bulbs. Replace. http://articles.mbz.org/instrument /

Losta bandages, gauze, asprin, enough to teat a few serious wounds. I still have my (original) one although it's all too sun baked to be any good now.

Becker.
No.
Only on Euro cars. You need the triangle and the mount, but your car has the slots that accept the mount which just clips in. Trivia: IUS cars has aluminum trunk and hood, Euro cars were steel.

No, silber.

You should have at least 5 "click on" buttons on the climate control unit. The far right button is the off position. Second from right turns control assy on but not the A/C compressor. You might get some cooling if the ambient temperature permits. Otherwise this is usually the "heat" position. Third button from right turns on the A/C compressor. You control the temp by rotating the red-white-blue wheel to the far left. Fourth button from right I believe helps pump cold air down to the floor area in the front. At least it does on mine. The far left button turns on the defroster which also turns on the A/C compressor as well even if you have the dial turned all the way to "heat" max position. This is to help remove moisture from the air and you might be amazed at just how quickly this clears your windshield. Check the A/C compressor to make sure the clutch engages when you push the right buttons. The compressor is located down low on the driver's side of the car down low under the power steering unit. If this doesn't come on there are several possible problems. Let us know if this works.

On the instrument cluster there should be two small black knobs protruding from plastic panel. The one on the left resets the trip mileage meter and increases/decreases the intensity of your dash light when pushed in and rotated. These have a habit of becoming corroded and develop "missed" spots. If this is the case reply and you'll get the help you need to fix this problem.

Thanks for the great info. 1.I am going to go through all of the fuses today or tomarrow and replace all of them. Probably not a bad idea. 2.This info is great and super helpful. 3.I got the clock working just by replacing a fuse (only 2 thus far) but of course its missing the minute hand hahaaha but works now. 4.The dash lights are certainly working but 'missing' as you described a little and some of the backlighting on the switches do not work.
ALSO, two days ago, the fan that blows air in the car stopped working. Then last night when I parked it I put it in park and noticed when closing the sunroof that the car was still in drive. There is nothing BUT play in the auto gear shifter now, its only in drive, and I cant even get it into a neutral position to start it. AArrggg. :) Thanks again, Bryan
Bryan,
I recently bought a '84 300 5 cyl Turbo Diesel and will be happy to correspond with you. Would probably be more efficent if we discussed details off-line. You can reach me at: irwin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if you'd like to discuss)
Bryan wrote:

That's a nicer way to do things than that stupid URL! :-( It's kind of you to offer such help. ;=)
Tom wrote:

That would be great and thanks for offering your help. However you email address didnt appear. Mine is analogvacuumtube at gmail dot com Thanks again for your help.
Same situation here. After reading the post about MB roadside assistance to all MB's , that just solidified my opinion of MB. 2 Weeks ago I bought a 83 240D with 70k on it. Best $5k I've spent on a car. No rust, no accidents, complete docs. Toolkit and first aid pkg never been touched. Interior looks new. White with blue MB tex. Antennae does not work. It has an aftermarket pioneer CD player Read the owners manual and got familiar with starting techniques, etc.
AWESOME care! Not quite as fast as my corvette :) I don't think I will ever sell it. If you need any info from the docs, I can scan them and send. Bryan wrote:

Same situation here. After reading the post about MB roadside assistance to all MB's , that just solidified my opinion of MB. 2 Weeks ago I bought a 83 240D with 70k on it. Best $5k I've spent on a car. No rust, no accidents, complete docs. Toolkit and first aid pkg never been touched. Interior looks new. White with blue MB tex. Antennae does not work. It has an aftermarket pioneer CD player Read the owners manual and got familiar with starting techniques, etc.
AWESOME care! Not quite as fast as my corvette :) I don't think I will ever sell it. If you need any info from the docs, I can scan them and send. Bryan wrote:

I would GREATLY appreciate any scans you could send to me. It was awesome. I spent about 2 1/2 hours last night under the car with my laptop familiarizing myself with the car. I love it. and thanks again for the help. send your scans to analogvacuumtube at gmail dot com -bryan