A160 Poor Idle and cold running

My wife has an A160 1998 which has developed a problem. It wont idle when started in the morning and cuts out. Also when cold the car is very jerky, similar to the choke is not comming on. The garage said it
was the "Engine Control Monolith" and quoted 800 to change. Could it be some other problem. I got a quote from the internet for 455 for the same part so dont have much confidence in the garage.
Hi there I also have an A160 which has lately been cutting out on but Iv taken it to the Mercedes Garage and they have also quoted me an unrealistic amount...Im really stressed out as I seem to be having endless amounts of trouble with this car and really just want to get rid! my best advise would get it fixed as best as you can then sell it off...Im doing the same they not worth the hassle. Ash