(Ab-)normal 2001 e320 oil consumption

Bought car under Starmark warrenty. 39k miles. Right out of the gate it uses about a quart of oil per ~2k miles, i.e. I have to add 4-5 qts., (= half the total oil, engine takes 8 qts) during the 10k mile service
interval.
I think this is pretty bad. However, MB claims that their service spec specifies that any oil consumption less than 1 qt. per ~700 miles
is normal!!!! And, they say that BMW and other german makes have similar norms.
What do the experts think about this? Has anyone had similar experiences, and had any positive experience with MB on this issue? If so, what might the source of the problem be? Not sure I geel good about seing the oil light go off 4-5 times during a service interval. Don’t expect this from a Lexus or Acura!
Harald
βœ–
My '95 E320 with 135K miles does not burn any oil between changes (every 3,500 or so miles). My '99 E320 doesn't burn any (or very little) between its 10K mile oil changes.
Josh

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ab-normal-2001-e320-oil-consumption-ftopict142225.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
Manufacturers used to say 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles is "normal", the bar seems to have fallen to 700 miles! A service writer will TELL you anything hoping that you'll go away. Ignore them.
Some thoughts: The harder one drives a car the more oil its engine will consume. If there's no external leak I'd suspect the valve stem guides. An engine that wasn't reasonably "broken in" will subsequently use oil. An engine that was badly overheated will use oil thereafter - its piston rings having lost their temper. I agree that this engine shouldn't consume much oil at 40K miles and suggest you contact the M-B Zone Manager about the condition, if only to go on record now, to start an inevitably long negotiation over the terms of the extended warranty.
Valve stem seals can be replaced without a major engine dissection but an improper break in or an overheated engine require a total tear down. No one will do that; they'll give you another car, IMHO.
My carefully broken in '97 E320 (with different engine) that's lightly driven hasn't required ANY oil additions; it has now done 38K miles.
Add pictures here
βœ–
BTW, have you asked to see the service records on the car? Also, what type of car/engine did you get? I wonder if this car suffered from the "hand grenade" harmonic balancer and overheated in the process.
Josh
Add pictures here
βœ–
A quart per 2K miles is not typical, but it's not all that bad either. As TG pointed out, the std for most auto manufacturers has been a quart per 1K miles is within the acceptable range. Unless there is visible oil leakage, there really isn't anything you can do, nor would I get too upset about it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What's a good way to break in today's cars? Long casual drive or in the city?
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
Only the AMG cars/engines have a written break-in procedure. MB cars and light trucks do not.

Add pictures here
βœ–
So how do you break an unbroken car?

Add pictures here
βœ–
You drive it like you are going to drive it for the next 100K miles!

Add pictures here
βœ–

Even if you want to bag it all its life? So there's no point in being smooth and easy for a 1000 miles or so?
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
Take it easy for the first 1500 km/900 miles. Keep changing speed and gears but don't 'redline'. A long motorway drive at constant speed is not a good idea.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:JY14f.26479$S4.19338@edtnps84...
[...]
> What's a good way to break in today's cars? Long casual drive or in the
βœ–

Yeh, I heard that, why is that so?
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
I guess it doesn't 'work' the engine and gearbox.
DAS
βœ–
More than likely, when the car was first purchased and serviced, dino oil was used instead of synthetic. This caused sludging and later on, scored walls. Because of the 12K-14K service interval, dino oil did not hold up. This problem affected 98-2001 cars before MB finally said NOT to use dino oil at all. It is addressed in the O'keefe class-action suit.
BUT to get any help at all, your car HAS to use more than 1 qt in 700 miles. AND it has to have a delivery date BEFORE March 2001.
The S.I. is 18.00/20 dated Dec 5, 2003.

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?ph7478
Add pictures here
βœ–
Once again Karl hits the crux of the issue.
Here's the reference: http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid 3&did—1
Add pictures here
βœ–
As far as I know, this ONLY covers cars sold in the US.
And if anyone wants a copy of the S.I. p-mail me.
IF you have a 98-01 car sold before March 01 AND it uses MORE than 1 qt of oil in 700 mile or less AND the walls are scored, MB will give you a new long block. If the walls are NOT scored, MB will replace the rings.
BUT the key is 1 qt in 700 miles. 1 qt in 1000 miles is not going to get you squat.

Add pictures here
βœ–