abs / 4matic question

Hi, I have a 91 300te (proble)matic, are the abs and 4matic systems working independently of each other? I have funky abs feelings at low speeds and also at moderate speeds, not when braking. If I turn off the 4matic the symptoms seem to disappear. My novice assessment is pointing me towards the wheel speed sensor units, one of the front wheels - still need to narrow it down. Am I on the right track? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, J.

Reply to
JSR

You are on the right track. I don't have experience on the 4matic system but it does rely on the ABS system for speed sensor.

Clean out the sensor and surrounding area. I recently worked on an 89 560SEL that has ABS... with the rotors removcd, the sensor was caked with brake dust... same for the cogs that the sensors read from was really caked. Brake cleaner will clean out all those dust in no time.

Reply to
Tiger