ABS light on 1993 E280T

Hey all,
I have a problem with the ABS on my newly acquired E280T. The problem is similar to the problem described here: http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/3722d7d089666c1a/eb0d18e0de29a021?hl=nl&lnk=gst&q=w124+abs#eb0d18e0de29a021
---- 8< ---- 1. Start car, ABS system passes all diagnostics and light goes out. 2. I drive for about 1/2 Km, and ABS light comes on and stays on. 3. I stop somewhere for about 10 mins. 4. I start car again and set off, ABS light does not come on even after many miles, BUT when I brake the ABS cuts in at about 5MPH irrespective of the road surface conditions. ---- 8< ----
I read that a good first try would be to clean all speed sensors on the car, and check whether the problem persists. Does this seem reasonable?
Do I need new sensor retaining bolts if I take the sensors off the car, or can I just leave the sensor in place while cleaning them?
Thanks, -- Rien

http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/3722d7d089666c1a/eb0d18e0de29a021?hl=nl&lnk=gst&q=w124+abs#eb0d18e0de29a021
Check your speed sensors, there are 4 of them near the brakes, is this a used new vehicle? If it's a used then someone could have disabled the ABS sensor and reconnected it poorly, or it's dirty.

Your tires, are they all the same size? If there is a great difference, then that could be your problem. ABS system compares and looks for a sudden change of speed, mixing tires could have an negative effect.