ac problems, 87 190d turbo

hello everyone, I own a 190d turbo, 87 model with about 193500 miles, she still gets mid 30's highway, however, on hot days, when first starting
the car, my a/c blows cold only from the center vents, as long as I use the button directly above the a/c button. The a/c button seems inoperative. Also I get very hot air from the left and right side vents, after 10-15 minutes, I hear what sounds like vents opening or closing behind/under the dash, and then I get my ice cold a/c from all of the dash level vents! Works fine as long as I leave the car runnning, if I shut her off, the same scenario happens all over again! But, if the outside temp is below approximately 85 degrees, the a/c works perfectly from startup!!! please email me directly at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Dave Johnson