Adding third row seats toML350 (newer body style)

Hello all

I am in the UK and have an ML350 (the revised one, 2nd edition, whatever its called!) and have been thinking of adding the third row of seats.

I bought the ML after our first child, not thinking that we would have a second, but the second is now here! I am wondering if it is possible to fit these and the seat belts myself? If not, does anyone know if MB themselves would fit them, and any idea's on price? I know that the 'family pack' adds opening third row windows and i think some other stuff, but i would only need the seats/belts.

I have been thinking about the soon to be released new ML but I hear that you cannot buy this with the third row of seats? There will be a later release with extended wheel base that will come with third row as standard? I think I read this in one of the car magazines here so I don't know how true this is. In three or four years I may be going for a new car you see - either keep the existing ML (with third row of seats if I can get them) and get a new sportier car - either CLK or SLK, OR change in the ML for a new one.

Chris

Reply to
CT

You should be able to install it yourself...all the fastener points are there... check with dealer to confirm you can add a third row seat before you buy from any source who got the third row seat kit.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for that. I have seen that there are fastener area's, and plastic covers on the internal plastic mouldings that I assumed would be for this purpose so I hoped I may have been able to.

Another quickie if you please, you mention to check with the dealer before I 'buy from any source', do people other than MB sell the third row seats, or do you mean just to check with my dealer that my ML is okay fora third row to be fitted?

Cheers again.

Chris

Reply to
CT

When MB doesn't sell enough 3rd row seats... they sometime liquidate their supply to third party reseller... so sometime you can buy new old stock or used one.

Reply to
Tiger

First of all, you say your ML350 is the "newer body style". Currently in the ML-class there are only two body styles: the W163 manufactured from model years 1998 through 2005, and the new W164, manufactured beginning as a

2006 model year. There were some "facelift" style changes made to the W163 that included different bumper and headlight styling, but it was the same body. I am assuming that is what you have. I this case, you can retrofit the 3rd row seat.

For a while, many US dealers were offering a package deal to retrofit the

3rd row seats, but MBUSA stopped them from doing so. The official line was that it was unsafe, but the rumor is that the real reason was a shortage of 3rd row seat components from the supplier was causing the prices to be driven up for the factory.

At any rate, if you can get the parts, it is not a difficult job. You will need the seats themselves and the seatbelts. If you remove the rectangular covers on the wheel well trim, you will find either a mount point bracket already installed or not. If you do not have the brackets, you will need them. Once they are installed, the seats simply clip onto them and also clip onto the brackets already in the center of the cargo floor. The seatbelts install behind the D-pillar trim and you will have to make a cut in that trim for the belt to exit. My understanding is one of the hardest parts to get are the wheel well brackets. Otherwise, the seats themselves seem fairly easy to locate as they often appear on eBay.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

If you have the brackets and want to try some seats then give me shout.

I have the ML270 + family + luxury and the seats are detachable.

I'm in Warwickshire but car goes back to lease company second half July.

Reply to
charles blassberg