Adding turbo to '81 300D

Hey Tiger, TG, anyone else with good info. What do I need to do in order to add a turbo to a "straight" 300D?

Reply to
Ernesto

You can't... the compression ratio is different along with the pistons, crank, arm, etc... they are all beefier. You are better off parting the whole engine out of a donor car.

Reply to
Tiger

Don't, the non-turbo engine doesn't have the internal design to handle the 40% power and BTU increase.

Turbo engines have oil cooled pistons, a higher volume oil pump, turbo boost regulation (for engine safety) a nitride hardened crank shaft, sodium cooled exhaust valves plus - a turbo - beginning to get the picture?

Actually, its much cheaper to sell your car and buy a turbo car than to undertake a conversion that will always have a "story" or loose end about it. The converted engine will have a shortened useful life and the modified car a value question about it when you want to sell it. And we're looking at cars that are 25 years old with modest market value so why invest a lot of labor in a 25 year old car? It doesn't compute.

If you want a project buy a cosmetically marginal turbo car and restore its luster - then you'll have a turbo engine and a nice car that has a reasonable market value.

Cars can be repaired by DIY owners for reasonable cost but changing a car is difficult.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Good info. Thanks guys. I just want to keep this car for my son to drive to college (he's 15 now) and thought a turbo might make him feel better while his buddies are out driving much hotter cars. These seem like small tanks and I'll feel much better having him drive it instead of a domestic mini tincan. Guess he'll have to be satisfied as is.

Reply to
Ernesto

Reply to
zdilly/gary

Adding to the mess:

o I always believed the perfect first car for a teenager should be a Mercedes 240D. Ideally manual. The idea here is that it will force the new driver to learn how to think and plan ahead while still providing some protection.

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares