Advice , please, 300D, SD or SDL

Wich one is the best car from 86-89. Between me and my father, we are looking for another car that will be well taken care of with 20,000 miles a year put on
it. We have to rravel up to Montreal once a month for business. What would you guys consider high milage for one of these tanks? What should I look out for?
-Thank you- Chuck- NJ
300SDL was sold in the USA in '86 and '87 only. It's a well regarded model but you should know that its engine has an iron block and aluminum cylinder head. That combination works fine so long as the engine is not overheated. So if you buy one of these be sure to keep its cooling system in top condition and not charge long hills in hot weather with the A/C going full blast. The consequence is a possible blown head gasket and or cracked cylinder head the last is an expensive lesson.
300SDL was sold in the USA in '86 and '87 only. It's a well regarded model but you should know that its engine has an iron block and aluminum
cylinder head. That combination works fine so long as the engine is not overheated. So if you buy one of these be sure to keep its cooling system in top condition and not charge long hills in hot weather with the A/C going full blast. The consequence could be a possible blown head gasket and or cracked cylinder head; the latter is an expensive lesson.
I have an 87 300D turbo with 260,000 miles on it. The car is awesome. It's fast, quite and very reliable. I get about 26-28 city and 32-34 hwy. I have only had to do two major repairs to the car.
Rebuilt injection pump and now I am replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one. The engine doesn't burn any oil and the compression is very good. It starts very well in the cold too. My mechanic says I should be able to get another 100k off this engine.
As long as you buy on that was well maintained it will last. You want to make sure that the AC system is kept in working order. I let my AC run out of freon and had to replace the compressor (my stupidity)
Good luck!

another 150,000 miles easy
the case, minus a few cans!
You are on borrowed time...
Jeremy wrote:

Hey Geoff Nolids.I just turned 550k on mine. How much more borrowed time do you think I have. John
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HORIZON A) wrote in

They either make it to a million miles or they don't!;o)
I don't know, when did you rebuild it? I expect to get 500K on mine too, I just had to freshen it up at 264,000 by doing a ring and valve job.
--Geoff
HORIZON A wrote:

On Ebay there is a 1997Smoke Silver 300SDL in with 215,000 miles, but with a low reserve of $2,600. Looks to be a nice car with records that is located in Ottawa, Ontaro