Air Cond 500 SEC

Have a problem with the air conditioning in that the compressor is not engaging when the air Cond is switched on.

Wires to the compressor and switches in the dryer are OK and will not activate the compressor.

If the compressor is wired directly from the battery it works and cools.

Tried to trace the wires back but I'm lost at the fuse/relay box.

The fuse in the box although OK is hot.

Is there a relay (which one) or another fuse which I should be looking at.

Thanks

Reply to
Wiz

Yes, the car does have an AC Compressor Relay.

Reply to
German Star

Check your A/C pressures. The compressor has a built in line safety switch. Once it senses pressure going down on the "suction" side (20 psi or less) it will NOT let the compressor come on. the reason for this cut out is, they don't want the compressor running empty, because the oil will "migrate" out of the compressor and will into the evaporator. Mechanical items don't work with out oil.

PS. You've probably have a leak in your system. Bring your car to a reputable mechanic.

Bill

Reply to
Wildman

There are two switches on the dryer one to the fan and another which i assume is the pressure switch.

Even if I short this out it does not allow the activation of the compressor.

When the compressor is manually operated a wire from the battery to the terminal on the compressor it will operate and cool the car.

Rob

Reply to
Wiz

I'm thinking it maybe this - which one is it - there is no relay pattern in the fuse box for the relays.

Thanks

Reply to
Wiz

Check the SUCTION LINE PRESSURE. Most (if not all) the gas is gone.

Bill

Reply to
Wildman