Air conditioner compressor clutch question

I have 92 300SL. The clutch on the A/C compressor suddendly stopped engaging. The compressor freewheels. Air was cold until this happened. I checked the fuse and it is OK. Any ideas what to check next? If it's the clutch, how hard is that to repair?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
News at PeoplePC

Have the freon charge checked first. Low pressure cut out switch keeps the compressor from engaging when freon charge is low.

Reply to
Peter W. Peternouschek

You can jumper the low pressure cut-out switch and test the compressor clutch to be certain your problem is low freon. Since the car is a '92, low freon is the likely problem. Hopefully you can just add a pound every summer and that will get you by.

Reply to
John

Before attacking the A/C clutch you ought to ensure it's getting power. There are usually some safety block outs to protect the compressor - low refrigerant being the one I'd first check of jump for brief test purpose only.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the information. Is jumpering the switch an easy proposition? Any directions on how to do this?

Reply to
Steve

CAVEAT!!! I am only familiar with my '86 420SEL so don't bank on what I tell you.

Facing the front of the car, hood up, look to the right front side of the engine compartment, a little behind the radiator and to the right of the radiator. You should see the receiver/dryer "bottle" with a small circular piece of glass in the top (sight glass). Somewhere, very close if not attached to the bottle, will be a switch with electrical leads connected via a plug. Unplug the plug creating its two halves. Take a piece of 12 gauge single strand copper wire, like household romex, and make a "U" shaped jumper. Now, holding the plug half that's NOT FROM THE SWITCH, insert each side of the U into the two female recepticals of the plug. You should now be simulating a closed pressure switch signaling adequate freon pressure. Therefore, the clutch should engage. You do this at your own risk as I am not a mechanic but only a mechanical engineer.

Reply to
John