Air mass meter for 99 E300TD

The check engine light came on my E300TD (94k miles) last week and my local MB mechanic told me that the air mass meter is defective. It cost $430 to replace ($344 for part). Is this failure common on this model? Seems like a rather expensive part to me. Perhaps I should have bought the part mail order and changed it myself?

thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

Yes, you should change it yourself....very easy job. My favorite auto parts place is asking only $150 for Bosch Air Mass Meter for your car...

Tiger

After 94K miles it's not uncommon; many seem to fail after 65K miles.

Quite reasonable charge for shop's diagnosis, shop supplied part and installation labor, IMHO.

Last week I received a $600+ estimate from M-B dealer for a new air mass meter vs. $267 internet price (for my car's meter). Dealer charged $70 for diagnosis.

As my car has done only 38K I'm "monitoring" it and will replace it (myself) if code reappears.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

if code reappears.

This wouldn't be the 1980 w116 300SD, no? :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

Thanks for all of your comments. If it fails again I will replace it myself. Can I buy a diagnostic tool (if cost is reasonable) that will tell me what is wrong with the car when the check engine light comes again?

Best, Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

If the resistance from pin 6 to 7 is greater or less than 3.3 V to 4.2 V,then it is time for replacement!

Reply to
CaptainW116

Actually I want to buy a tool that will tell me which part is defective when the check engine light comes on. Is there something that is reasonably priced? Perhaps I can rent one?

thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

The OBD scanner is free to use at Autozone.

Reply to
Tiger

Sure, about $100 - $120 for a (INNOVA 3100) OBD II code reader an auto supply store.

It tells you, for instance, "P0170", which its booklet states is "Fuel Trim Malfunction".

Then it's up to YOU to (a) figure out exactly what that means and (b) which part(s) need to be changed. So, you see it helps but isn't an instant answer to life's automotive challenges.

And remember, the air mass sensor is an easily accessed part that we all can change, some of the others aren't so easily accessed by a DIY owner.

So do you want to take the plunge or take it to the shop?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

TGL:

Thanks much for the info. Sounds like the code reader is not the solution I had hoped. It is getting harder and harder to do any work on these cars. I got this diesel thinking it would be easier to work on than gas engines. I guess I should just shell of the money and get problems fixed as they appear. I have a hard enough time with oil changes!

Having said that I must say that this diesel drives very well-great response. The most comfortable car I have owned.

Raj

Reply to
gator_mech