Air Sensor

My non-dealer MB shop says my 2000 S-430 needs to have its "air sensor" replaced, for about $400. I asked is that were the same as the O2 sensor,
and they said no.
Make sense? What if I don't replace it? (check engine light is on).
Mike
--
To reply via e-mail, delete twangtown and substitute earthlink.

What the dealer is referring to is called Air Flow Meter... it measures how much air entering the engine air intake.
Now, if you reset the check engine light... and it came back practically immediately, then you gotta change it. Without this the engine will not burn gas properly which will burn both your cat converters and that will cost $3000 to repair... although cat system is covered by federal warranty for 8 years.
Which brings me back to this... since AFM is part of emission system... shouldn't it be covered by the federal emission law? This is because without this, the car cannot pass the emission test.

He's probably referring to the MAS/MAF (Mass AirFlow Sensor) which can usually be cleaned instead of replaced. Here's a link to a thread discussing the cleaning process: http://tinyurl.com/z4eun
--
Steve Heath